Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The end of Kydona, and a new and better start

Hey all, I'm very sorry at the utter lack of posts on this blog. I can offer up a whole lot of excuses, but here's what it amounts to: I'm unfortunately not going to continue with the Kydona series. Here's why.

The short and sweet of it is, I'm happy with the way the series left off. I had plans for Marcus and Nadiya, and a tentative map for a series, but decided against putting them through the hell that I envisioned for them. There's a weird thing about being an author: you come to have real affection for the characters you create. It's a strange intimacy, one that a reader experiences in lesser form when he or she really gets into a book.

Kydona was a learning experience for me. It was my first series, and definitely had its faults. I value it for helping to teach me what kind of writer I want to be, what ideas I'm interested in pursuing. Writing Kydona was also, in that way, a journey of self-exploration. It was written over the course of no less than five years, during my conflicted early adulthood--conflicted in that I was still trying to piece together a world view, a difficult task for any young person. Actually, I may have started writing the series too young. I wrote all the way up to the Bloody Ridge, at one point, before I realized that I hated everything I'd written and just started over. So the story you've read (THANK YOU, by the way) has very little in common with the one I started writing as a university freshman.

I'm leaving Kydona where it is. Marcus and Nadiya will keep their happy ending. They were going to get one anyway, but the journey there wasn't going to be pleasant, and I just didn't have the heart to force them to endure it.

Here's what's next: I've finished the first book of a new series. I've made the shift to Science Fiction, which has always been one of my great passions ever since I first read Starship Troopers, Dune, and The Forever War.

This is a military "Hard Sci-Fi", sharing a genre with the likes of The Martian. It shares the best traits of Kydona, and I'm sure that any of you who read my first series will appreciate it. The first draft is complete, and I've started getting my hands dirty editing the first draft. Hopefully I'll be submitting to a publisher by Christmas.

You can follow progress on my new series on my new blog, Reasoned Ravings. As of 18 November 2015, this blog is very obviously under construction, but I expect to update it much more frequently than this one.

Again, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for reading my story. I hope you'll stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment